Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blogger’s dilemma


Let’s cross-link our blogs, my friend tells me. What does that mean, I ask him. You put my link on your blog and me, you. So what happens? We will get each other’s readers. It increases our hits.

Confused, I ask him. Increase hits? Why should we increase hits? If we increase hits, it means our blog is popular, he explains. Hey, I can understand what it means, but is that the reason why we blog, to become popular? He seems exasperated. Well, hmmm, if you don’t want popularity, why don’t you have a personal diary instead? I couldn’t think of an answer, and said as much.

We moved on to other things. After a while I tell him, I don’t blog regularly. How will I increase hits, even if I crosslink? Well, if you want to become popular, you have to blog atleast once in two days. Put your link in orkut groups, chat messages and mailgroups…learn to network, he advises me. I thank him for the enlightening discussion.

A blogger’s dilemma is this- he blogs because he wants others to read it, but the more readers he gets, the more pressure he is under…what can I change to make this post more readable?, This is interesting, may be posting this will get me more hits, etcetera. Suddenly, there are no uninhibited feelings, ideas, and thoughts; only conformity.

So what is my final take? I write blogs because I do want others to read it. But I don’t like to push it. I don’t like to worry about losing readership just because I don’t blog regularly.

When someone stumbles onto my blog, reads it and puts a comment ‘nice one’, I do feel pleased. In fact I used to get a lot of 'nice ones' before. Unfortunately they were invariably follwed by messages like how to enlarge your, well, stock returns.

2 comments:

Id it is said...

Nice one! hehe
I couldn't agree with you more on that dilemma!
Lazy by nature, networking to get more hits is way too much work! That's out. But yes, I do like to get comments on my blog!

Brainstormer said...

Talk abt networking! ...i came across ur blog thru a colleague's blog!!!. We seem to share a common perspective on the reason to blogs. I consider blogs as a outlet for my emotions, rather than a platform to project myself or my thoughts.