Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Psycho babble

So I’m here for two months. What have I done?

The going is the same as in college. Chill out the entire term, cram in the last week and those who do the most end up having the last laugh in exams. This is how the system works every where and IIM is no different.

What’s the point of doing this in IIM? I could’ve worked in Wipro, done well and get promoted in three years to a team leader, say. I could’ve made a more confident person, capable of doing something worthy in my field. Instead I’m doing some worthless courses that no one would use anywhere, churning out stupid reports that I myself wouldn’t give a second look and being extremely busy without being any effective.

So why am I here? Everyone says IIM is a cash cow. I once thought that it is so good a value addition that cash behooves the same. But I seriously doubt it now. It’s only that companies have this high esteem on us unworthy souls, give us those opportunities to excel which wouldn’t be given to ‘lesser’ mortals and most of us do excel. In psychology it’s called a self fulfilling prophesy. You become what others believe you are capable of.

All’s not bad. There is this IIM culture. It means you constantly try to learn new things that will make yourself more useful wherever you go. You take advantage of opportunities around you and go on refining your USP (the marketing jargon means unique selling proposition) and in effect try to live up to the aura that surrounds an IIM for the people outside.

I haven’t done much. I’ll try. So should everyone.    

PJ (poor joke) of the day:

How do you wish god when he goes to office?
Khuda office!    

2 comments:

Deepak Poddar said...

hi siva,
And i totally agree to ur comments on the course we are going thru.Nothing of the sorts I had thought b4 joining the insti. Or to be explicit, its all BS. Just loading us with loads of work definitely doesnt mean that we are learning a lot or that we are turning into effective managers.Can just hope that we complete out 2 yrs out here, without many hiccups from the side of the system.
Deepak

Id it is said...

In Bushland the IIM credential carries immense clout; almost comparable to the IITs. So hang in there; you're in the right place.